- Violence against women is a major public health problem and a violation of human rights.
- Lack of access to education and opportunity, and low social status in communities are linked to violence against women.
- Violence by an intimate partner is one of the most common forms of violence against women.
- A wide range of physical, mental, sexual and reproductive, and maternal health problems can result from violence against women.
- Many women do not seek help or report violence when it occurs.
Source: The WHO November 2009 VAW Fact-sheet!